PUSH, a novel

"Ms. Rain the one who put the chalk in my hand, make me the Queen of the ABCs." (Sapphire 81). I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been profoundly affected by the reading of this novel. I was so shocked in the beginning that I literally felt my mouth drop; the language is so unbelievably awful that I honestly didn't know if I would be able to read further. I did, however, out of both necessity (as it is assigned reading) and also curiosity. I was fascinated with the story of Precious, and I could not put the book down once I began to become personally involved with her story. I found myself getting very angry at the injustices that she suffered, elated when she succeeded in some small task, and I was even moved to tears when her lonely birthday was described (p. 68). I guess I have started this blog for the class in hopes that we can begin to share our thoughts and feelings as a class beyond what we share in class. I have a feeling that our short time together each week is simply not going to be enough to satisfy our souls. Anyone's input will be greatly appreciated and respected.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home